Sunday 29 July 2007

A New Tractor, Le Percheron

The Museum at St Segal has already been discussed here whilst writing about the Lanz 5506.


Just after we had been given the decision that the museum was to wind up, we had a final visit to look around; that is Nicolas, the grandson of the owner of most of the machines, Noël and myself.


We looked at this tractor that I had said "If any tractor must be included in the museum, this one must be it!".


Why?, because it is German tractor made here in France just after the war. It is a Lanz 7506 in size, style and power, many Lanz pieces being used in it's construction, I reckon. Secondly it is a Semi-Diesel and therefore interesting to see, explain and to look at.


Whilst we three spent some time around it, the tractor sitting on chunks of tree stump to hide the flat tyres, on that afternoon sometime in September, Nico, said that he had never seen it run, Noël felt the compression and said, "Not much there Patrick, and what's that banging inside, big-end, piston or what?". I rather jokingly asked how much and an unrealistic price was given, one that could buy a "Le Percheron" in good running order, and indeed there was an ad. just a few weeks ago for one a bit les pricey which ran, so there we are, end of story for me!!.


In private just a few days later I gave Nico my top price that I would be prepared to pay.


A little later, several months on, I heard that another friend from near St Malo was interested so I formally withdrew so that he could go on with out my interferance. His deal involved a swap with another tractor, some cash and lots of telephone calls.
Some 6 or 8 months later I happened to see Nicolas somewhere and I asked him if the "Le Percheron" had gone. "No, in the end the deal was too complicated for me, and as I had to inject some cash into it and although the swap tractor was just what I wanted, it was all too complicated for me, so it has gone cold."


My ears pricked up and I reconfirmed my offer, which was heard but no reaction was made.


This was at the beginning of 2007 some 18 months after the original discussions.


A very sad looking Percheron at the museum.

I'll leave the story there for the moment and come back another day.
Pat

1 comment:

Vincent said...

Très bien ce blog! je trouve ici de bien belles histoires. J'apprécie particulièrement parce que je connais en partie ces histoires, mais aussi parce que ca me donne envie de continuer la restauration de ma moto.
A bientôt & surtout continue!

Vincent